AMAZONAS Ultra-Light tarps, just like our ultra-light hammocks, are divided into two categories: the extremely light and compact ADVENTURE series, made of silnylon, and the somewhat heavier and robust TRAVELLER series, made of polyester.
Both fabrics are woven using the Ripstop technique. This method ensures high tensile strength for both series. If a small hole appears in the hammock, the cross-laid threads prevent the hole from enlarging.
Comparison of TRAVELLER TARPS vs ADVENTURE TARPS:
• Material: Polyester
• Ripstop technique: 210T
• Weight: Light
• Coating: Polyurethane-coated including seams, PVC free
• Water column: Approximately 3000 mm
• Robust, due to the more densely woven material
• Tear-resistant, UV resistant, and waterproof
• High water column thanks to the polyurethane coating
• Long lifespan due to low susceptibility to abrasion
• Can be used as a moisture barrier on the ground (although care must be taken to ensure the ground is free of stones, broken branches, and other sharp objects)
• Less sensitive to flying sparks from campfires than nylon
• Does not stretch when wet (does not need to be re-tightened after installation) • Low price
• Higher weight
• Larger pack size
• Must be folded neatly to fit in the pack sack because of the coating
Overnight stays lasting several days, bivouacking in winter, hammock camping with a campfire, trips where weight is not a primary concern.
• Material: Extra stable silnylon*
• Ripstop technique: 20D
• Weight: Ultra-light
• Coating: High-quality elastic silicone 2-ply coating, PVC free
• Water column: Approximately 2000 mm
*Silnylon is incredibly smooth, with excellent beading effect. This lessens water pressure as water flows off better, ensuring weather protection even in heavy rain, provided the tarp has sufficient slope to prevent large water pockets from forming.
• Particularly lightweight, thanks to the 20D weave
• Particularly small pack size
• Very tear-resistant, permanently UV-resistant, and waterproof, owing to the combination of siliconisation and Ripstop technology
• Easier to pack, thanks to the smooth coating. There is minimal friction, hence the pack size remains excellent when the tarp is simply stuffed into the pack sack. This method is even recommended by premium tent manufacturers for this material as it reduces stress on the user and protects the coating from buckling in the same places.
• Sensitive to flying sparks and perforation by branches and sharp objects
• Higher price
• Retensioning may be necessary as the fabric expands when wet.
For this reason, we've attached the tensioning cords in a way that you can adjust the tension from the top, keeping you dry under the tarp. This is why we didn't run the tensioning cord on the tarp through a fabric loop, as is usually the case, but instead inserted a special aluminium ring to reduce wear and tear during tensioning.